THE 6th ASEAN HERITAGE PARKS CONFERENCE
As the Secretariat of the AHP Programme, the ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity (ACB) has established regional mechanisms to support the AMS in the implementation of the AHP Programme. Every three years, the ACB organises an AHP Conference, which is attended primarily by AHP Managers, key stakeholders of AHPs, and partners in AHP management. To date, five (5) AHP Conferences have been conducted:
- First AHP Conference – Khao Yai National Park, Thailand (September 2004)
- Second AHP Conference – Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia (April 2007)
- Third AHP Conference – Brunei Darussalam (June 2010)
- Fourth AHP Conference – Tagaytay City, Philippines (October 2013)
- Fifth AHP Conference – Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar (October 2016)
The Sixth AHP Conference
The Sixth AHP Conference (AHP6) will be held from 21 to 24 October 2019 in Pakse, Lao PDR. With the theme “Sustainability and Innovation for Parks and People—Celebrating 35 years of ASEAN Heritage Parks, the AHP6 will be hosted by the Government of Lao People’s Democratic Republic through the Department of Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. The Conference also marks the 35th anniversary of the First ASEAN Declaration on Heritage Parks and Reserves. The Declaration, which was issued on 29 November 1984, proclaimed 11 protected areas as AHPs. The Second ASEAN Declaration on Heritage Parks was issued on 18 December 2003. To date, there are 44 declared AHPs.
The conference aims to improve the AHP network and strengthen camaraderie among AHP managers, AHP Committee members, AWGNCB members, as well as selected stakeholders and partners.
Specifically, the conference aims to:
- Serve as venue to share best practices, results of recent studies in AHPs, promote success stories and showcase opportunities for future funding and assistance for AHPs;
- Assess the progress of the ASEAN’s efforts in effectively managing AHPs and in addressing biodiversity issues for sustainable development;
- Review the uptake of recommendations made during the previous AHP conferences; and
- Recommend priority actions for enhanced management of AHPs.